Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Fresh Chicken Drumies and wings

Okay I know this will be dull without photos. I was canning and planning supper all at once and the camera did not come out.
However after we had supper I realized I should have taken photos of the wings and how I used them.
Here is the information in Black and white...

I cut the tips off the wings and they go into the stock pot with the backs and ribs and the bones from the legs and thighs.
Then I cut the wing itself into two parts at the joint so I have the makings of wings and drumies.

I freeze these in packs of 12 so when I cook them we each have 6.

I experimented with an idea I had from a lamb marinade I used at Christmas.
Lime juice is under used and we both Love garlic. So I took a batch of the very fresh cut up wings and made a marinade for them.

1/2 cup lime juice with grated zest from two limes.
1/4 cup extra virgin Olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tablespoon Garlic flakes or 4 crushed cloves of fresh garlic [this is to your taste]
A sprinkle of Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp ginger powder

Mix the marinade well and pour it into a good heavy ziplock bag and add the chicken. Roll it gently back and forth until the chicken is well covered. Put it in the fridge and turn occasionally through the day. I marinated these "wings" for 6 hours.

To cook pour off the excess marinade and put the wings into a casserole with a lid and bake at 350 F for about  an hour or until well done...about 15 minutes before you take them out sprinkle them with brown sugar and remove the lid of the casserole.

They were sticky and messy to eat but even Ralph who is  not a wing fan liked them very much.

I think you could also bake them but this was the first time I made them so I wanted them moist and tender which they were!

Now we are off to plant potatoes and try to figure out how to get the turkey hens to use their new  nesting box....they are suspicious....it could be a trap!


Be safe and count your blessings.



3 comments:

  1. Oh, yum! That marinade sounds wonderful! I will have to make a note of it and try it when I process my meaties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention you can adjust the marinade mix for smaller batches or use what you need and refrigerate the extra to use on other things. We love garlic so it is a garlicky marinade:)

      Delete
  2. we love garlic here, too, and your garlicky, limey, sticky wings and drummies sound delicious! i will definitely be trying this recipe!

    sending love! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete