Thursday, September 4, 2014

Tomatoes...

I love tomatoes


Red ones....



White Ones....


Orange ones....


 Weird ones.....



ones with odd names...



Blocky ones....



Yellow and Orange combination ones....



and of course big ones!



  This is a glimpse of our tomato harvest this year.  All these varieties are Open Pollinated, heirloom Varieties that are just an adventure to grow.  They are not uniform in size, they are not uniform in shape, they have various colors even within type, they are thinner skinned than store tomatoes, they split, they bruise, they wrinkle! The vines grow wildly about in massive towers of greenery or they grow straggly and odd but have beautiful tomatoes hanging off them!

   Most of all though they taste absolutely divine!  They are juicy beyond belief and eating one makes you smile and wipe your chin.  If you don't toast your bread it gets soggy from the wonderful juice in no time at all.   You don't need anything but a wee bit of salt and pepper...you do need a napkin!

My pantry is getting full of canned tomatoes, dehydrated tomatoes and wonderful tomatoes in Olive oil with basil. There is fresh tomato sauce, home made ketchup in "Yellow" .  There is Salsa with our tomatoes and the neighbors pears...spiced up with our own Jalapeno peppers. There is Tomato jelly waiting to brighten our day in the cold of winter spread on crackers with a bit of cream cheese.


Winter doesn't scare me a bit because I love tomatoes!
[Yes I had to bring that up didn't I!]

Now all of this has made me hungry.....guess what I am going to make!




Ahh I love tomatoes......





.

4 comments:

  1. WHITE tomatoes?? Why, I never... What a gorgeous array of tomatoes! I could eat one (or two) every day. I have had a tomato sandwich every morning for breakfast. Toasted bread with a smear of mayo, salt, pepper and a big slab of tomato. Heaven! (I hope you didn't jinx us, using the "W" word...:) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. uuuuuuu I felt a huge twinge of guilt after I typed that nasty word....

      Delete
    2. You can get the seed for the Sutton White at: mariseeds.com Here is the information about them from that seed site.
      Sutton White

      Sutton White is the most flavorful of the whites. Very good production of cute small to medium size beefsteak tomatoes that blush yellow when fully ripe.
      Indeterminate. 75-80 days.

      Delete